Thursday, April 8, 2010

Dressed to impress

I'm ready to start fighting.

So I've found events to go to in order to start my journey as a gay rights activist. Naturally, I'll have to be dressed for the occasion. So I found two shirts that I think have wonderful and profound messages. I shared these ideas with homeboy and he was not impressed.

I'm here to make my case.

The first shirt says:
"If the fetus you save is gay, will you still fight for its rights?"

To begin, this is not a stab at all you anti-choice-ers out there. For me, this is a stab at the Republican party.

Now before we get all political, let me say that I am not the flaming liberal that you may make me out to be. Ask me about affirmative action or finances sometime if you need me to prove it.

I am going to boldly state that I think 98% of Americans do not fit completely into a political party. I understand that our bipartisanship is a big part of what makes up America, but the Republican party makes no sense to me.

I'm a firm believer that the only reason abortion is controversial at all is due to the question of when life starts. Is it when the Phelps sperm meets the egg? Or when the kid can survive on its own? Or when it's full term and pops out? Whatever you may believe, that is the difference between opposing sides.

What I'm saying is that we need a party that fights for rights. In some sense, you could say democrats fight for the right to choose and the right to have a gay marriage. The way I see it, republicans say the fetus should have all the rights a full grown person has, but that a gay person's rights should be limited.

Point being: if you're going to fight for rights, fight for EQUAL rights. No picking and choosing, por favor.


The second shirt I smirked at:

"Gay is the new black."

This naturally had me immediately thinking of the Legally Blonde quote, "Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed." It first has you thinking of classic little black dresses and black closed-toe shoes. The message might be read as "gay" being the new cool thing to do.

Good luck with that. I once had a super artsy, transcendental friend of mine tell me he tried to be gay and just couldn't do it. So yea, it doesn't work that way.

The way I like to read it is like this: gay people are just the group that us white, middle-upper class people feel like oppressing these days. Just the flavor of the half-century you might say.

White men love this stuff. They oppress people for their religion, if they're Native American, if they're women, if they're black, and now if they're gay. So, in a better sense, "gay" is the new "them."

Think about it. Can you choose to be gay or black? Negative, ghost rider. Are you any less human if you're gay or black? No sirree.

And yes, us white people are playing the "separate but equal" card again. We all remember how that worked out 50 years ago. "Civil union?" No thanks.

Let's talk about marriage. I've said it before and I'll say it again, marriage is not the property of the church. It is when two people sign a piece of paper. It is not about God's permission, purity, the crucifix on the wall, or the man in a robe rambling in front of a crowd. Atheists get married. Satan worshipers get married. People order mail order brides and get married for citizenship. You get my argument.

Now we look back saying, "Hey, my really awesome black friend would have had to use a different water fountain if someone hadn't stood up and made a difference way back when."

Well now's our chance. Because in 50 years I know my grandkids will look back proudly and say that their grandma fought for what was just.

Put me in, Coach, I'm ready to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment