Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"My second home"

Pictures are coming soon I promise! I took 160 in the first two days. Just practicing for my photojournalism emphasis. Also, the woodworking here still has me in awe. So I take pictures of it anywhere I see it. My roommate, Liz, has finally gotten better so she's back in action. Guess she didn't have swine flu like we all thought.

I passed out the gifts I'd brought for the family and realized that I didn't really have anything for a girl my own age. Luckily I'd brought a Glamour magazine on the plane and gave it to Nadia and she loved it. At night, Nadia, Liz and I sit up and talk like we're old friends. It's very eye opening that someone so incredibly different from us is actually fundamentally the same.

I've started to finally learn some Arabic phrases. Since my homestay mother doesn't speak any English at all I can't communicate with her. Yesterday on the way home from school Nadia taught me how to say "one two three" so when we got home I ran into the kitchen and said "wuhead, zhoosh, cleta!!!" and she laughed and clapped and kissed me. Her mother and I talked (through Nadia) last night about the government in the US. What I've gathered from both that conversation and the Intercultural Dialogue class is that people are excited Obama is in office simply because he's not Bush. I really don't fit with either side of the political spectrum but when I asked what they're looking forward to in Obama's term(s), Nadia admitted that she didn't really know and that she just jumped on the bandwagon. Her mother mentioned all the things he promised. Guess his public speaking skills really helped out globally. For the sake of America and the rest of the world, I really hope he manages to pass the political final with flying colors. I also really hope that our government doesn't continue to disappoint the world with our decisions. Not sure if that's really possible if we keep our own interest first. A direct (translated) quote from her mother was, "What Bush did to the world was worse than what the terrorists did." When I asked her about it she mentioned "the wars and the massacres."

Something else I've picked up from learning my basic Arabic is that Moroccans aren't afraid at all to include religion connotations in everything they do and say. It would be easy to say that this is because they're all Muslims but that's actually not true at all. They have a very prominent Jewish population. The ALC is actually right across the street from a synagogue. Anyways, for example, instead of saying, "This food is great!" they would say, "May God bless you for your great food." And instead of saying, "Please" they would say, "May God keep you safe." Also, when a beggar comes up to you and asks for money you must respond, "May God provide for you." In America this is all very taboo and if someone you didn't know were to mention God in a conversation you would be turned off. Interesting, nonetheless.

On one of our first days here the Haaj (someone considered a leader because they have made the haaj to Mecca) came to welcome us to Morocco. Translated, what he said was, "We welcome you, our brothers and sisters, to your second home, Morocco." That is the greatest welcome I have ever received. These people have a level of hospitality that is something I have never experienced in the states. They love to sit and talk and learn with you. Nadia and her mom ask questions constantly about our life in America. They are never quick to judge and will explain anything about their religion or customs that we ask about. Nadia even said she was going to dress Liz and I up in her formal robes and take pictures of us in their incredible guest room. She's going to teach us how to properly wrap our heads too. We're pathetic at it.

One problem with their level of hospitality is that they won't tell us when we're being rude! They know we don't mean to be rude but they refuse to correct us so we just have to copy what they do. They all eat from the center dish but give us plates because "we know how you Americans like your plates." We asked if we should take off our shoes when we step on the carpet and all they say is, "As you like, as you like." So now we just follow what they do and they seem to appreciate it for the most part.

Can't wait til I can get the pictures up- they describe everything so much better than I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment