Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Do the Hussle

One thing I've noticed in my time between Costa Rica and Morocco is that kids are universally the same.
In Costa Rica, 3 yr oldLaura and I were best friends cause she and I could speak about the same amount of Spanish. Here, 2 year old Hiba and I can play dumb little games and communicate like there isn't a language barrier at all. In the same sense, Hiba can be an extremely obnoxious whining terrible two. Liz and I can hear her from our basement floor when she screams two floors above us.
**I know what you're thinking..."she's cute"...don't be fooled.**

In terms of the language barrier in general, Khadija, Summiyah and Nadia taught Liz and I how to dance the Moroccan way when we dressed up in their traditional outfits. Last night we taught them how to dance the American way. Not the bump & grind teenage kinda dancing, we taught them the good stuff; mostly the sprinkler, the shopping cart, the shower, the lawnmower, etc. Watching the girls in their long conservative jillabas and heads covered trying to do the sprinkler was quite a sight.
**Our version of Moroccan dance. Nadia told me to move like a snake, so I did. Then she said I looked like a "handicap snake"**

After not seeing our family for the 4 days we were in the desert we were really happy to come home to them. When we got back we realized that they were happy we were home too. When Khadija came to say hello to us she hugged us. Like really hugged us. It's great to know that she really cares about us even if we don't have much in common. Even when we can't communicate at all with Khadija we know she loves us and we always have a good time with her. Don't worry, Mom, I'm in good hands.

**My fam. Hallad (he's 15 and we only heard him talk once), Nadia with Hiba, me, Khadija with Adam, Summiyah**

No comments:

Post a Comment