Monday, May 18, 2009

"At every moment, God appears in a different form"

Last night we ate cake for dinner.
This is my kinda country.

Mom I thought you would like this- when we have Arabic class, sometimes there is an English class right next to us that we can hear. Pretty sure it's for younger kids cause they teach them kids songs to practice their English. Anyways, the other day we were sitting in class and they started singing the "All you hungry children, come and eat it up" song. I told my class I knew what it was but all I could remember was "Wednesday...ZZZOUUUUUPPP!"

Some cool things about free speech/tolerance:
- A long time ago when the city was being built they purposefully built the Christian church and Islamic mosque across the street from eachother to promote tolerance between the religions
- We saw a protest (something I was pretty sure I wouldn't see before I came). Apparently the government is trying to get rid of this shanty town right outside the city walls so the people who live in the shanty town were protesting the project. Thought it was great that they have the right to assembly.

This was all towards the beginning of the trip but the same time we saw the protest we saw a funeral procession. It's traditional to wash the body near the family's home and then walk/bike/drive to the cemetary. So through the middle of these busy CRAZY streets there was a steady stream of processors walking towards the cemetary. It was quite a sight to see with all the modes of transportation involved.

1 comment:

  1. cake for dinner?! sounds just like us during our last few nights living at the pi...cake and frozen strawberry lemonades. sounds like you really are living the nugglife, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete