Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lit reviews and lagging behind

As always, I apologize for my hiatus.

My sister told me this weekend that it's not as much about the content of my blogs or the utter hilarity (*hair toss*), but more so about the frequency. So I'll try to work on that.

The problem with my life these days, is that it isn't very blog-worthy. When I lived the sorostitute life in the brothel, or when I was hiking around Thailand, my life was easy to put into words.

Now my life can easily be summed up by this: School.

I don't like people that talk about how they have SOOOOOOOOOOOO much work to do. And since all I do is read, study, write, highlight and go to class, I haven't talked to pretty much anyone in seven weeks, as to avoid being that person.

But I have a feeling that for the next two years, my blog will make the shift from sarcastic, pain-in-the-ass undergrad sorostitute, to sarcastic, pain-in-the-ass graduate ass-kicker. I can be two types of ass at once. Bob would be proud.

So things I would recommend to first year M.A. students studying business journalism at UNC (ok, I'm only like 7 weeks in, but this is what I got- take it or leave it).

Well there is boring stuff like "always do your reading" and "go to class no matter what." But there are a few other little rules that are a bit more fun but just as true.

1. Don't look like the undergrads. This may be because I'm supposed to be mature and refined, or it may be because undergrad was SO five months ago and it would be embarrassing to look like an undergrad. And so, I have ditched my Nike-shorts-and-t-shirt uniform, chopped off my hair, and started to shower a little more frequently. It's exhausting.

2. Pick a schedule that works and stick with it. From Monday-Thursday I spend my days on campus at school, work, and talking with teachers. Friday morning -Sunday night I do my work. I usually treat myself to about half a day off, but more than that and my whole schedule is thrown off course and I go into shock. It sounds dramatic. And it is.

3. Inspired by a conversation with my roommate, and a recent assignment: NEVER mess with anyone's highlighters. This is what my week has and will continue to look like:



Every color has a different meaning and now that I'm halfway through the research, if someone borrowed one of my highlighters without asking or caused it to prematurely run out, I would suffer cardiac arrest. And I do not have time for cardiac arrest.

4. Learn to love the people you're stuck with. My cohort has 13 people in it. Between us and the first year PhD students, there are 20 of us. We range from 22 to Bob's age, all sorts of shapes, sizes, colors, and life stories. Not one of these people is like any of my friends from Athens. It's like a patchwork quilt. But I'm with them all day every day, and they're the only ones that understand exactly what's going on.

5. Sleep when you can. Wherever you can.

6. Have an outlet. Every night when I make (microwave) dinner, I sit down to a Netflix episode of early Grey's Anatomy. And for 48 minutes I get to fantasize about McDreamy, be glad I'm not in med school, and tear up over melodramatic plot lines. Hey, whatever works.

As I'm sure I've alluded to an obnoxious amount of times, I'm working hard up here. And it's not a drag and it's not terrible. It's just a different way of life but it's somewhat enjoyable. The most enjoyable part is knowing (hoping) that in two years I am going to have a degree in my hands that I worked myself to the bone for. And I'm excited to experience that kind of accomplishment.

1 comment:

  1. i had the "we are the only ones that know exactly what we are going through" conversation with a pal in my program tonight! its kicked up to high gear over here too. that would explain my simply forgetting to call you back the other day- i will! my partial off-days and outlets have been key too :) and good gracious, lets not start on the highlighters. I nearly had a panic attack today when i had to switch to orange when i couldn't find my yellow (it was in the bathroom, whoa katie, take a break) happy studying, proud of you, love you!

    ReplyDelete