Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Beginning of Duffluff

So I guess I should have done this first but here is just a quick update on where I come from and why my life is worthy of blogging about:

Some little facts about me:

I'm in my second year at the University of Georgia and am studying Magazine Journalism and Religion. Religion absolutely fascinates me but something's gotta pay the bills so hopefully I'll find a job with my Mag major.

Grew up in the beautiful, flourishing town of Johns Creek (formerly known as Alpharetta), Georgia: where the country club sports win state annually, the movie theatre is where acne and voice changes flourish, the Wendy's is where school rivalries are settled, and the best source of entertainment is hanging out in people's basements. Couldn't have asked for much more in a childhood and I've had a very fortunate life thanks to my two loving parents. Speaking of whom...

First up... the mother. She'll encourage you to follow your heart, she'll take you to every sports practice you feel like attending, she'll be the first one to hold you when you burst into tears, ...and she'll laugh until she cries if someone slips, trips, falls, missed the balance beam, skiis off a cliff, tips over a boat, runs into a glass door, or gets hit in the groin. Sometimes I'm convinced she should go back to working in the ER just for the amusement she'll get from the patient's stories.

Next victim...Bob. Also known as the father. He can be a real pain in the neck though so it's usually appropriate to refer to him as just Bob. He was my award-winning partner in the 7th grade jitterbug contest at Cottillion (yes, I've actually been taught manners), he has an MBA and a motorcycle, he can flip me in the ocean, and he still hasn't forgiven himself for missing my 4th grade band concert. He's rude and obnoxious and opinionated and I've been told a number of times that we are exactly the same (which is A-OK with me, I'd be proud to be half the person he is).

And alas...the older sisters. Possibly two of the most rawly intelligent people you will ever meet. Ashley graduated in 7 semesters with 2 majors from Wake Forest and is kicking law school's butt now at Emory. She also managed to wedge her toe in our air vent to the point that it took a roll of film and alot of assistance before she was let loose. Now Lisa took 5 years at Wake but will graduate with about 7 degrees and 26 major awards (they must be Italian). She's got all sorts of magnificence tagged to her name. She can take on numbers like it's her job (HA!), win scholarships, and entertain a party full of people but she'll easily surrender if a little kid has a runny nose. Her reaction usually involves a disgusted look and a phrase similar to, "Ew...bagel."



**The fam. Me, Bob, Mom, Ashley, Lisa**

As for my Athens "family" per se, I currently live in a brothel (aka a sorority house) which is just asking for me to start a blog. 60 girls under one roof. The happenings of this house are enough to entertain pretty much anyone. Expect blogs about it. Example: our food has been an issue since day 1 and, for the most part, I'll eat whatever they give me. Others feel the need to complain about every aspect of every meal. Sounds like a waste of time to me. Anyways, next week is spring break. HENCE our cook is cleaning out the kitchen. Today our lunch was what is affectionately known here at the brothel as "This & That." My lunch consisted of hot wings, cucumbers, half a bagel, a bowl of soup and a piece of cornbread. THAT...my friends, is This & That.

Now, as for the title of this blog: we'll just say "Duffluff" was an alias of mine...when I was four. I so endearingly changed my name to Duffluff because Cindy just didn't fit the image I was going for. Anyways, I refused to respond to anything but Duffluff for a pretty decent amount of time. Mother was a bit confused about it until we watched Ducktales together one day and I pointed out that "Duffluff" was actually Duckworth, the duck tales duck butler. I didn't want to be a duck superhero or a duck detective, I wanted to be the duck butler.

**See the one on the right? That's me. (Is that even a duck?)**

No comments:

Post a Comment