Monday, August 29, 2011

Takin care of business

I'm (pretty much) settled in at my awesome apartment in Chapel Hill and the craziness has begun! I hit the ground running and my "three-day weekends" are actually just a chance to get all my readings done for the next week. So far, all work and a tiny bit of play. I did get to go to a women's soccer game but no Mia Hamm sighting.

I don't have much to write about except school. I am officially in the Business and Media track, where I'll not only learn corporate communications but also how to write about business. Pretty snazzy. I read the Wall Street Journal and everything. Some other tracks people have are reporting, health and medical journalism, visual communication, strategic communications, communication law and electronic media. There are only 13 of us so not many people overlap and I'm the lone bizz girl. There are 22 people in the cohort above me but the theory is that they only brought in the amount of people they could fund this year. Either way, there are just 13 of us, and we're from all parts of the U.S. (and world), with all sorts of life stories and ages. I'm the baby.

Examples of people in my cohort: a Coast Guard officer, a surf instructor, a girl from Brazil, a guy that did the Peace Corp in Mozambique.

I'm a white girl from Alpharetta.

That aside, I'm hoping that coming straight from undergrad will help me out a little. My roommate, Tina, just started law school here and, judging by this weekend, we'll have similar schedules: Wake up, sit at our desks all day studying, treat ourselves with a shower and then sleep.

My awesome classes? Research Methods, Reporting and Writing News, Communication Law, and Digital Media Economics and Behavior. So far I really like my classes, my professors, this town, this university, and the supportive feeling of the program. There doesn't seem to be a downside (unless you count the amount of work, but that's what makes the degree what it is).

I feel really good about all this. I know I'm here for a reason and I'm excited to see where it takes me.

**No sightings of my gay best friends yet**

No comments:

Post a Comment