Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A-head of the game

It's my last week of work before I move up to Chapel Hill to start my new life. And it's very bittersweet. I have lots of words to share about my internship, but they're probably too mushy and serious so we'll just talk about Chaz.

I mentioned earlier that a huge part of my internship-humbling-process has been carrying weird things. Or just things in weird shapes, unfailingly things that are hard to carry. Yesterday I think (hope) I maxed out the weirdness.

As an awkward-appetizer, I had to first wheel a cart-load of boxes full of books down to my boss's car. Which would have been fine, but our office cart was being used, so I had to use the tax department's cart.

This cart has proven itself to be an enemy in the past, and yesterday was a battle that I most definitely lost. These carts have four swiveling wheels. Or they're supposed to. The tax department cart only has THREE swiveling wheels. The front right wheel does not swivel. Which makes turning left extremely difficult.

Not only that, but after six boxes of books were stacked on the cart, it would have been hard to turn left WITH a swiveling wheel. So as I ride down the elevator, I look at my watch and realize that it's 11:30, prime lunch time in my building. As the elevator doors open to the first floor, my fears are confirmed that not only do I have to turn left out of the elevator, I have an audience.

I basically end up grunting and heaving and trying to lift the right side of the cart to two-wheel it into a left turn, which naturally fails horribly- leaving the crowd in awe and a few books strewn on the floor.

I picked them up and scurried out of the elevator bank, head down.


Now in terms of embarrassment, that might take the cake for the day. But in terms of carrying awkward things, Chaz does.

As part of a presentation that I'm running today, I have to demonstrate a wearable computer. It pretty much looks like a super fancy headset.



You say commands and it opens folders in the little screen under your eye and then you can tilt your head up and down to scroll through a document. It's very cool. And very expensive.

So yesterday I had to go get it and learn how to use it in order to demonstrate it today. I also had to get the accesories for it. Which include: a battery charger, an SDcard and holder, a carrying case, and... a mannequin head. SAY WHAT?

Yes, friends, yesterday and today part of my job is to carry around a mannequin head. Not only around the office, but the presentation is at Mercer, so in about 20 minutes I'll leave the office to carry said head around Atlanta.

Now I decided to name the head Chaz because he looks like a young fellow. And he has incredible bone structure. And I don't like the idea of carrying a stranger's head around so he needed a name.

So if you're looking for Intern Cindy today, I'll be the one walking through the Mercer campus carrying a mannequin head and wearing a headset computer, yelling "OPEN MY DOCUMENTS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment