Wednesday, June 2, 2010

When nothing goes to plan...

Why oh why do I attempt to plan things?

Number one lesson learned today: a plane ticket bought for May 2 gets you NOWHERE on June 2.

That's right. In my retardacity I bought both Elizabeth and my tickets from Siem Reap to Kuala Lumpur for May 2. Which not only means that we had to buy tickets for today's flight but that we had accidentally missed our May 2 flight that we didn't mean to book in the first place. Finals mess up everything.

Luckily Air Asia is SUPER cheap so nothing $150 couldn't fix.

So then my bag was 19 kg instead of 15 so I got charged a neat chunk of change for that along with the exit tax so I was out of money. Literally. None. No riel or dollars or anything. And then my ATM card got denied at SEVEN ATMs.

But we got here and decided to make sure we get overnight tickets to and from Singapore for the next two nights. So we get on the train to go to the central train station and waited for our ticket to be called to talk to a ticket person. Who told us that all seats for both those trains were sold out. So no Singapore for us.

But no worries! We are here in Kuala Lumpur in our awesome hotel which we now booked for four nights, overlooking the hoppin' night market. And I found an ATM and got 550 whatever Malaysian money is. So I feel like Ms. Money Bags. Elizabeth lost her debit card and is living off $175 and Frances, who is traveling with us through Malaysia, got her card eaten by an ATM so she's living on $100. This is seriously budget traveling for the next 10 days.

Anyways, Cambodia and I had a rough ending there, but I really think me and Malaysia are going to get along quite well. I feel good in Kuala Lumpur and the night market is really something. It's literally RIGHT outside our window and the street is completely inaccessible to anything wider than my father because there are so many street stalls. You can walk everywhere and there is no telling who is Malaysian or not because of the range of skin colors. Malaysia is a Muslim country and we all know I love Muslims so it's nice to see hijabs (head coverings) again after Morocco.

We have wifi at the hotel so I'll be able to post later, too, just maybe not in Thailand. But looks like we're staking out in Malaysia for a few days and making this awesome little room our home for 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment