Sunday, August 23, 2009

Normal is relative

So Lisa has long said that I should blog on this and I'm just now getting around to it. What sparked my interest? The tallest woman in the world.

My dear friend (that was a lie), Jeff Foxworthy once said, "You know what? You don't have the stupidest family in the world. You don't have the goofiest family in the world and if you ever need to verify that all you have to do is go to a state fair. Five minutes at a fair you'll be going, "You know what? We're all right, we're dang near royalty.""

Well y'all, my "state fair" sounds a lot like "TLC show." The lineup on TLC one night consisted of Siamese twin girls then "Treeman meets Treeman" and then "The Girl That Never Grew." They also have shows on families with 18 kids (all with names starting with "J"), "I didn't know I was pregnant," little kids in pageants who get spray tans and wear fake teeth and, of course, lots of shows on little people. Everyone loves a midget.

What do we learn from this? That we're much more normal than we think except that we love to put abnormal people in the public eye. So whenever I think my life is a sitcom I just thank God it's not a TLC special.

No comments:

Post a Comment