Thursday, January 26, 2012

Comforted by the spirit of Michael Jordan

Tonight was my first UNC basketball game, and it was against big rival NC State. But before I detail that experience, let me detail to you my own experience as a player of the game known as basketball.

Which was limited.

Many of you know this story, but for those of you who don't - buckle up cause it's going to be an emotional ride.

When I was a wee 7-year-old, my parents decided to sign me up for church league basketball. At the time my sisters were 10 and 12 and were starting to get more aggressive in soccer. There haven't been many things that Bob has said that I've listened to, but one of them was this: when playing [soccer], lean into your opponent with your shoulder - not your elbow - so you don't get called on a foul.

In my first-grade mind, this translated across all sports.

So when we played an actual game, my prematurely tall frame took out player after player until I was literally ejected from the game in the first quarter.

Now, because I used my shoulder - not my elbow - to level the opposing team, I was confused as to why I was getting kicked out. To make it worse, my parents were in hysterics in the bleachers, leaning on each other with tears of laughter streaming down their faces.

Kids, that's what you get for listening to your father.

I am happy to report, however, that tonight's experience with basketball was much more positive. Let's recap:

These are the awesome spirit gloves my sister/brother-in-law got me:

This was my date for the evening:

This is what the stadium looked like before I put my glasses on:


This was my actual view about half of the game:

And this, my friends, was the score:
74-55. Go Heels!

Needless to say, I was in the "house of God" when I had my traumatizing childhood experience with basketball, and I believe it is possible that God has led me to UNC solely to restore my faith in the game and to heal the wounds it caused me so long ago.

This was a step in the right direction, God. Let the healing begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment