Saturday, September 17, 2011

SEC to ACC

So as an undergrad bulldawg, I got a good taste of what SEC football is. I am now getting a better taste of what it is, by seeing what it is not.

What it is not: ACC football.

I went to my first UNC football game today, and it was great. It was definitely not a Saturday in Athens kinda great, but I had a great time.

The stadium is significantly smaller than Georgia's, and there still weren't enough people to fill it up.




Now, I expected those parts. What I hadn't thought about is that I don't know the fight song, alma mater, or any traditions at all. Apparently I need to learn how to spell out C-A-R-O-L-I-N-A with my body. How does one make an "N" with their body? I'll have to figure it out. Part of me felt like a clueless freshmen, part of me was excited to get to learn all these things again, and part of me really missed Sanford Stadium.

Watching and amateurly trying to join in on the pre-game rituals was fun, but what was most entertaining was when the basketball team walked into the stadium. The football team? No. The basketball team. Half of them weren't even wearing UNC colors but everyone (but me, apparently) knew exactly who they were. They walked in from the bottom of the stadium in a pack



...and proceeded to sit only a few rows away from us.



I actually only took that picture in hopes that Hunter would recognize someone. Cause Lord knows I didn't.

This was also my first football game in four years not wearing a dress. I expected the UNC people to be a lot fratty-er than they are. This is the look I'm used to, modeled on a fine man I knew in undergrad:



Croakies? Check. Bowtie? Check. Jacket? Check. And are those seersucker pants I see? CHECK.

And here is what our girls look like:



Needlesstosay, people weren't as dressed up today. I'll give them a pass for the chilly weather (high of 62!).

While it was no SEC, I got to have a study break and hang out with some great people in my program. Overall success for sure.



Also, I realize that I've been very SEC-over-ACC, UGA-over-UNC these days, but come basketball season I suspect I'll change my tune. I have a sneaking suspicion that UNC basketball might prove to be strong competition for UGA football. Bold, but I'm excited to find out for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment