Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Google THAT, Potential Employers

What do I do when I'm bored? I blog, feed my fish, pretend 20 seconds of crunches on the floor will give me washboard abs, shower, balance Tums on my tongue, paint my nails some horrid color, or Facebook stalk the heck out of people.

What do normal people do when they're bored? Some thing productive.

OR.

They Google themselves.

Ahh, yes. The art of Googling oneself is a frequent occurrence these days, thanks to the increasing amount that potential employers stalk their prey before interviews. So one day, I did it.

Among other things, listed were the fact that I (or people with my name) have profiles on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter, that there is a decently popular photographer with my name, and that there is a Nancy Drew booked titled "The Search for Cindy Austin." You may have never heard of it but on cue I can tell you that it is book #88 and exactly what the cover looks like. You would be proud too.

But the champion of my self-Googled search page is the ever-alluring CindyAustin.com. I know there are people out there that have their blogs changes from johndoe.blogspot.com to just johndoe.com so I assumed I had won some sort of lottery. In a fury of excitement, I typed in this new address to find that the site wasn't exactly what I had been hoping for (my blog, that is).

Oh no. I advise you now not to click on said link because it turns out there is another Cindy Austin who has some acting aspirations. Mostly in adult themed movies. I didn't venture past the first page but I can assume there are a few things on the site that you shouldn't view while babysitting. You get the point.

This does not come as a surprise to me, however, as I have always stood by the fact that all people named Cindy are either in their 50's, prostitutes, or Asian. Or some strange mix of the three.

So let this be a declaration to all potential employers: I am not in my 50's, a prostitute, or Asian. And I am not the Cindy Austin of CindyAustin.com. If I come in for an interview and you have Marvin Gaye playing, expecting me to reveal more than my employment history, you will be poorly mistaken and very disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment