Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Dears and Deers

On this merry birthday eve, my doting boyfriend dragged me to Bass Pro Shop to buy a goose call. Now he's always been a romantic, but today he outdid himself.


We started dating in 2008, and for our first Valentine's Day he bought me a hard drive. Yup, nothing says "I love you" like computer storage.

Needless to say, that's when we had our first "needs vs. wants" conversation pertaining to gift giving. I explained that gifts for holidays should be something fun or romantic, that the person wouldn't usually buy for themselves. He's had trouble grasping the concept since.

So on our way home from Bass Pro, Jason says that he wants my input on my birthday gift because he was having a hard time deciding. Last night he brought home a six-pack of different kinds of root beer for me to try. Jason said that was the romantic part of my gift.

I knew this was gonna be good, so I started taking notes.

First up - The Magic Bullet. This summer I used his a lot to make smoothies before work, so he thought I might want my own. But when we live together again in a few months we can share again. Such a conundrum. So no Magic Bullet for me.

Second - a shotgun. Now I like to shoot for sport, but Jason has a 700 lb. gun case full of whatever I could ever need. No need for me to have my own, so no gun.

Third - a mountain bike. Now this one had a bit of thought. We like to do things outdoors so his idea was that we could ride bikes together. There's a glimmer of romance, but then he drops the kicker on me.

The kicker - warm camo. As in, the beginning of my warm camouflage collection for hunting. And I quote: "The good thing is that camo goes with everything. We could get you waders but that's pretty duck hunting-specific. The romance isn't so much the camo but the hunting together that it implies."

Does hunting imply romance? Would I get confused and think the romantic part was the camo?

No clue. No. Dang. Clue.

1 comment: