Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Humble Beginnings

Today I broke the printer. To the point where neither I, nor one of my coworkers, nor the tech guy, nor the print shop guy could fix it. So we've had to call Xerox and have them send a technician out. He'll be here sometime in the next 48 hours. Luckily only about 12 people use this printer, printing hundreds of sheets a day, using this exact machine for all their printing needs.

UGH.

So after I rolled my eyes and laughed that I had done yet another intern thing, I started to explain to the tech guy some of the other "Intern Moments" I've had in the last nine weeks. Here is a sample:


I am ALWAYS carrying something strangely shaped and hard to hold. I carried a gigantic orchid up from the mail room in such a way that I had to peer through the stalks to see where I was going. There were stares.

I accidentally turned off a fancy-pants manager's light on the way out of his office, leaving him sitting in the dark.

I rolled a cart out to my boss's car to get "a huge bucket" just to find out it was one small empty tub. I looked extremely weak rolling it back in on a cart.

I regularly trip trying to walk in heels, fell into a guy one time and he thought I had broken my ankle. (This came just minutes after I was asked if I was a model, and was feeling pretty high and mighty. I imagine it was God's way of knocking me off my high horse.)

If you walk through the badge-swipey-things without swiping your badge it alarms at you. This gets tricky when you push a cart through AND try to walk through. Multiple times I've had to do something similar to the electric slide to shuffle my way through the sensors without setting the alarms off. Still haven't been successful.

My new shoes get air pockets in them when I walk so it makes very un-ladylike sounds. I suspect there may be a viral email that the new intern has the walking farts.

Went in to make coffee one day and somehow the Keurig machine just started spewing water everywhere. Naturally 3 people walked in right then as I was panicking and dodging the boiling spray.

I thought I broke the copier cause it wasn't printing in color and tried to fix it for like 15 minutes before asking someone and being told it's only black and white.


I come home every day with a different story, so I'm sure I've left most of them out. It's a humbling experience, being an intern. Hopefully this will help me to work with interns someday when I'm in my big girl job.

No comments:

Post a Comment