Thursday, September 10, 2009

Picke Bicke

I'm getting into my major classes which is good news cause I actually like what I'm learning. In one of my journalism classes we had to write a profile on a randomly-assigned classmate.

I got matched with a sophomore Asian guy from Peachtree City. The guy was actually pretty cool and he had no trouble telling me anything and everything that might help with my story.

A huge part of what he talked about was breaking the Asian stereotype throughout high school and trying not to be profiled. He said he was pretty lazy and didn't like anime.

He also played tennis after not making his high school team twice and he kept up with piano after his parents quit nagging him to play. So that was my hook. I talked about his dedication and said that, though he wants to break the "Asian stereotype" he is actually very proactive and committed to what he loves.

I didn't consider exactly what I had said (that he actually fits the stereotype that he tries so hard to break) until after I had turned it in. I still wasn't so worried about it cause at least he fits the good parts of the stereotype right?

So we get to read what the other person writes about us first thing in class today. What did he write about me? That I break stereotypes.

Neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment