Monday, July 27, 2009

Making light of a heavy situation

So, as I mentioned in the last post, I just got back from visiting Memphis. Missy wanted to visit some of her family while we were there so we accompanied her to the nursing home where her grandmother, Puddie, lives now. I should visit nursing homes more often just for fun.

The first day Missy went to visit Puddie, Puddie and another woman were in the hall rolling around in their wheelchairs looking for a slipper. Here's their exchange:
Puddie: Where did you see it last?
Other woman: On my foot!
Puddie: Well when did your foot get COLD?
Other woman: My foot's been cold all day!

Then yesterday before we headed back to Atlanta we decided to all go in and visit Puddie. Now Puddie had a brain aneurysm about 8 years ago and everything since then gets mixed up and tossed around in her brain. It can be sort of amusing as you'll see but it gets sad when she doesn't remember her husband dying about 3 years ago and still thinks he's in the hospial. She's a pretty cool lady though. She lived in Tupelo, MS for almost 80 years and taught Elvis in 1st, 2nd and 6th grades. Here's what she said about Elvis:

"He was just an alright student. Never really stood out. He was just as sweet as he could be though. A kind boy. His family didn't have much money so other people would give him quarters at school. Then he got into music when he was, well I guess he was about 16. He doesn't do that music anymore. Everyone kept bothering him about it so he moved up to the mountains and he still lives up there to get away from everyone."

As we were introduced to her she asked us if we were kin to her cause she was nervous that we were related and she didn't remember. Then she asked if Jason and I were friends and I said, "Yes." Then she asked if AK and Joe were friends and AK said, "We're all friends." Then Puddie said, "Well, I know you're all friends...but are you courting?" AK said, "No." so she asked me and Jason. Then she looked at Jason and said, "My...you're a big boy....you're a REALLY big boy." Then she looked at Joe. He weighs 145. She told him he needed to shave.

No comments:

Post a Comment